Monday, September 8, 2008

Beach 2008

So we went to Ormond Beach back in July, but I just got the picture CD from my dad.
Wesley "inherited" Aaron's love of the beach. (ie--They tolerate it because they love Maddie and me.) They spent most of the day inside so Wesley could nap and Aaron could eat ice cream and watch ESPN. Actually it worked out perfectly, because Maddie and I could stay on the beach for at least 10 hours, so I was grateful to not have to give up my beach time to sit in the room while Wesley slept. We have decided that when Wesley's older, they'll probably end up playing golf the entire time Maddie and I on the beach. Sounds good to me! :) As long as I have a good book and some good SPF!!

My grandmother very generously lets us use her week at the beach. (Thank you, Grandma Charles!!) We went to the beach for the third week in July and my parents came the next week. Our times there overlapped, so we got to spend time with my mom and dad before Aaron, Wesley and I left to go home. Maddie was a lucky duck and got to stay an extra week with my mom and dad. Aunt Corie, who lives in Athens, was there with her boyfriend, Josh. They were going to bring Maddie home when they left at the end of the week.

Aaron--being a very good sport--with Maddie and my cousins, Nicole and Natalie (He will only do this one the last day we are at the beach, right before we go in for the night. He HATES the sand.)


Sweet, sweet!


My Aunt Charlotte, Uncle Jamie and cousins, Nicole and Natalie


Wendi, Aaron & Wesley on Poppa's dune buggy (This thing is famous! Seriously! People will stop us and ask to take pictures when we're riding down the beach.)


The little fish.
Wesley LOVES to swim! Once we figured out he could float with the swimmies, he was a happy little boy! He's in the baby pool here, but he loved the big pool too.


Sassy pants


Wesley, tolerating the sand, sun and salt water


Since Wesley was still crawling when we went to the beach, he developed his own kind of crawl--the crab walk. His poor little knees couldn't take the sand, so he starting crawling on his hands and feet. He's been doing it ever since. (That kid is FAST!!)


My family is BIG into the beach. My parents bring nice patio chairs to lay in, big umbrellas to provide shade, coolers, a boom box, a dune buggy that acts as a fun way to cruise the beach and a way to get everything down to the sand every morning. My dad also has an icee machine that he hooks up to the dune buggy's battery to make shaved ice on the beach. No need to run upstairs! Maddie LOVES going to the beach and she loves going with her Poppa and Nonna!

Silly girl!

Not happy with sand on his face. :)


Playing

Maddie and her beach twin :)


Maddie, on her way to becoming a professional surfer.

Flying a kite--it's hard enough with one spool of string, but two?
Playing Bocce ball--Maddie's telling everyone which ball is closer to the target ball


My youngest sister, Corie, and her boyfriend, Josh, drove down to the beach. Josh brought his skim board and Maddie tried learning how to do it. It didn't quite work, because she ended up stepping in front of the quickly moving board and it smacked the side of her foot. She was pretty upset and ended up falling asleep from the exhaustion of staying up too late, playing too hard and crying because her foot hurt so badly.


Maddie, the budding actress, pretending to be scared of the cemetery at the pirate-themed mini golf place.

My little beach bum.
If she ever runs away, we know where she'll be!!

5 comments:

julie said...

It looks like you guys had tons of fun at the beach. I just don't understand how a little boy can't like the sand, but Wesley clearly doesn't. I would love to see his crab crawl. I bet he is fast. I LOVED the picture of him swimming, it is so cute! Maddie is quite the girl. I love all of her poses and expressions. She is a hoot to be around.

Erin Porter said...

I need to go to the beach with your husband and your Dad. We can watch t.v. all day and ride that dune buggy from the couch to the refrigerator. If I had an icee machine hooked up to my car I would seriously back it through the wall of my house and into my bedroom. Clearly it's better for everyone that I'm not stripping down and putting myself on display for the Georgia beach goers. P.S. When did Maddie turn 24? She looks so big! I'm not old enough to have friends with kids that old, and I'm certainly not old enough to have gone to college with friends that have kids that old. - Jay Porter

jen said...

I am so jealous of your beach trip. Those are great pictures. Aaron is a great sport for letting the kids bury him in the sand. I highly doubt you would catch Dallin doing that! Maddie looks like such a fun girl. I love her sassy poses!

The Clanton Gang said...

Yes--Maddie is a ton of fun, until that sassy little attitude you see in those pictures rears its ugly side. When we went to eat lunch with her yesterday, her her teacher told me that Maddie announced to the class that I don't tell the truth most of the time! Apparently they were reading a book about parents making mistakes sometimes. When i asked her about it, she said, "Well, you lie twice a day." I told her to give me an example. She couldn't think of anything and said, "Oh, I guess you never lie." Little stinker!

Sant Family said...

Okay, so I totally missed a ton of posts! I LOVE them!!

Maddie is hilarious! I love the picture of her at the cemetery. Larry tolerates the beach and sand for the same reason Aaron does. I don't know why he doesn't LOVE water like I do!