Sunday, January 25, 2009

Hope for the future

"O-rock Obama" (as Wesley calls him) being sworn in as our 44th president.

Let me just say that Mr. Obama and I do not share the same political views so I didn't vote for him. (I have a lot of mixed feelings about him as a politician.) And I don't think Mr. Bush is the worst thing that has ever happened to the US like so may liberal lefties seem to think. BUT I do like Obama as a person and it thrills me that we live in a country that has gotten past so much racism and ignorance.

I was glued to the television on Inauguration Day, full of emotion and happy tears. I have always been very touched by the civil rights movement but never as much as I was moved by it on Inauguration Day. I could almost feel the absolute joy that I saw on the faces of so many older, black Americans who had once lived in a country where they couldn't eat, drink or even walk where white people did. This was an event that none of them ever thought would actually come to fruition.

Forty years ago we would not not been able to have Wesley in our family. I'm not even sure it was even legal for a white family to adopt a black child. And now Wesley is accepted by society as a part of our family just as much as Maddie is. I take MLK's words very personally, especially when he said, "I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood." I am actually a descendant of slave owners (I've been to several plantations that were once owned by my ancestors.) and more than likely, Wesley is the descendant of slaves. But he is my son--how awesome is that? I don't think MLK knew how true his historic words would be. I am grateful to MLK and all of the other civil rights activists (especially those quiet unknowns who had to live with the hate every day) for the sacrifice and hard work that made it possible for Wesley to be in our family.

Life may be a bit more difficult for our Wesley because of the color of his skin. But thankfully Obama as a role model will let him know that it doesn't matter what he looks like--he really, truly can be anything he wants to be if he works hard and puts forth the effort! God bless America!!

Future president? doctor? NBA star? artist? teacher? Dryer repair man?

6 comments:

Jaime said...

great post! I too, was filled with the same emotions on this historic inauguration. What a neat thing for people who have felt "less than" for decades to see anything is possible, and I thought how it will encourage them to parent their children now with more realization of their potential. I also disagree with many things about Obama, but I loved how he said we shouldn't ask if gov't is too big or too small but it is working in such and such area, and take it on individual basis! I loved that bipartisan statement, I hope we all support him now as our President. And neat story about MLK and your ancestors. I'm sure Wesley will have an immense impact on people in the future, afterall... he is a Clanton!!

jen said...

I did not vote for Obama either but Inauguration Day was very exciting. I have never understood racism and am happy we as a country are finally getting past it. Wesley is one of the cutest little boys ever! I am so glad he is in your family.

Scoresbys said...

I cried that morning. It was so exciting to be a part of that historic moment. I had mixed feelings about both candidates, but Obama is every American's president now, so we all have a vested interest in his success. Wesley, wesley, the Maytag man. Doesn't quite have a ring to it. I'm going doctor, for sure.

Elizabeth said...

Wesley is sooooo stinkin' cute!!!! I want to meet that kid so bad!

Sant Family said...

I guess living in lily-white land I forgot, or never knew, much about the whole race thing. Really. I don't care that Obama is black (or 1/2) or white or yellow or green or purple. I never did understand those people who do. But I am glad that you reminded me that this is a big step because for so long so many people did care.

Wesley is so cute!!!

ALYN said...

You had mentioned your emotional day on inauguration, and I got a little teary reading your post. Especially the MLK quote. Adoption is a wonderful thing!

I haven't checked your blog forever! I'm going to link it, so I'll remember!