Wednesday, April 23, 2008

You know I love the South...

but right now I'm irritated that living in the South can mean sharing my air with small-minded, uneducated people.
So, I'm "retiring" from public education. I love teaching; I hate all the other crap that goes with it. Working full-time in a career that seems to be spinning out of control because of the rules, regulations and beliefs of people who have never worked in education or who have forgotten what it's like to be a teacher, is just more than I can handle. So I'm not returning to the school I've been at this year. I LOVE the school, but it's just too much. (I didn't intend for this post to be about this, but I guess I needed to preface a little.)
Anyway, so I'm looking for a part-time preschool job. I LOVED teaching preschool last year. I loved the other teachers (not my two crazy assistant teachers who weren't worth a toot) and I loved the kids and their parents. And I got paid very well. Unfortunately I worked for a crazy lunatic who micromanaged everything (including how many paper towels we could use every day--seriously) and who needed medication to manage her OCD/ADD/Bi-polar disorders. A friend of mine who I worked with last year told the director of her new preschool at a local Southern Baptist church that I'm interested and that she should hire me. The director called and we talked tonight. All was going well until she said, "So Lisa told me you're Mormon." "Yep," I say. And she asked me to explain my beliefs. No big deal. She said it's not an issue for her, but she can foresee there being problems for some of the old men who sit on the church's preschool board. I have to write a "statement of faith" to let them know what I believe. She really stressed that I need to talk about my "walk with Jesus." (What does that mean, anyway?)
Seriously? In this day and age I have to defend my religion? I could understand that they don't want someone who's not Christian to work there. I mean, it's a church preschool that teachers Bible verses and stories and has chapel every Wednesday. And I understand that as a private facility they have the right to hire who they want. But good grief, who does not know that Mormons are Christians?

This is why I don't introduce myself with "Hi, I'm Wendi, and I'm LDS." Because I have had SO many friends and co-workers, who after knowing me for a while, say "You're Mormon? Really? You seem so normal." (I know--normal is relative and I'm not sure I'm actually a normal Mormon, but that's beside the point.) I wonder if I would've even been friends with some of these people if they had known from day one that I was LDS.

So, I wonder if I should include a picture of my family with my resume. LOL I'd probably have to write a statement of genetics to explain how Wesley is black and his parents are white. :)

10 comments:

julie said...

Wendi, it is crazy how people don't think that we are Christians. One day Christian was in his office at work and one of his coworkers walked in and saw his diploma from BYU-I. Most people know that BYU is a Mormon school, so she looked puzzled and then said, "Well I guess you're not Mormon because your name is Christian." She said it with all seriousness. Christian was a little taken aback and then said, "Well I actually am a Mormon and Mormons are Christians." The woman just replied, "Oh." They talked a little bit more, and then she went on her way. It is really funny and sad the perceptions people have about our religion. Good luck with getting the job!

Elizabeth said...

Gosh.....good luck Wendi. That's how the "Bible Belt" is and it's sad. That part I don't miss at all, but really it is everywhere. I mean come on.....People wouldn't vote for Romney b/c of his religion. How stupid!! I'm in the same boat as you......How can people not know we are Christians???

Sant Family said...

My kids go to/went to a Lutheran preschool here and you have to write a statement of your faith if you volunteer more than a certain number of hours.

This kind of stuff just ticks me off. If it wasn't such a real issue I would be tempted to say stuff like I worship my unicorn and rainbows.

I have thought of being a highschool teacher (so much for that degree in Sociology) but I don't think that I would do well with politics.

I think your walk with Jesus, is just your daily interaction with him. Include pictures of your family reading scriptures, Aaron or you praying with kids by their bed (well, Maddie anyway). Mormons spend more time walking with Jesus ... Good Mormons, I should qualify.

Since I have six kids I always get asked, "Mormon or Catholic?" (Spokane is mostly Catholic.)

Love, Tif

Scoresbys said...

Interestingly, I don't get too many requests for "my walk with Jesus" living in Utah. That's not to say that there isn't plenty of narrow mindedness and ignorance however. Once in high school (American Fork High School in Utah County) I told a girl that I was a University of Utah fan and not a BYU fan. And she said, trying to be polite, "Oh how neat. I didn't know you weren't Mormon."

Amanda said...

Wow. How awkard. 'Your walk with Jesus'. I wouldn't even know how to begin with that. I know what you mean about being in the south and dealing with all of the ignorance. And these Texas people have really done us an injustice, haven't they?

The Clanton Gang said...

Thanks, everyone for your comments. After I e-mailed my resume and statement of faith in on Sunday and didn't hear anything from the preschool coordinator, I called her just to see if she got the e-mail and attachments. Well, she said she did and they looked great but she really didn't think it was going to work. She said something about having to follow the by-laws of the church. I straight out asked her how my being Mormon was against the by-laws of the church. She said she really didn't know. Argh! So irritating. Part of me wants to tell them to just forget it and the other part of me wants to get the job so I can show them what being a Mormon is all about.
She's talking to the preschool board next week. I'll keep y'all updated!

Wangemanns said...

Peter Breinholt? I haven't heard him probably since we used to hang out. I still remember all the words! :) Your family is adorable. I guess you don't really have to deal with the "Mormon" issues living in Utah. I forget all about it. Although we are surrounded by those not of our faith more and more each day and I think it is good for us. I'm sure that you will find the perfect job, because you are a talented teacher. HOpe all is well!

Aramie Judd Christopherson said...

What a headache Wendi. You'd think that with the emphasis on seperating church and state that any educational institution (even private) would be prohibited from asking you what your religious preferences are! Even so, why do "Christian" churches reject the idea of tolerance?
So many people that I know who are teachers tell me not to become one, and it's scary!

Kristin B. said...

The south is so different from Seattle...Good luck with the job hunt!

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy! I love your blog. I'm sure I will be a freq. reader!! Thanks for the invite, and I hope your job situation works out. How annoying!