Sunday, July 11, 2010

More May (2009)

(Yes, it's been over 8 months, so I'm pretty sure no one even reads my blog anymore. :) But one of these decades I want to get a blog book made. And since I don't scrapbook anymore (who has the time??), then I really, really need to keep the blog updated. It's my new mid-year resolution!)

END OF THE YEAR
The end of the school year always brings lots of BUSYness! Here are some tidbits:

Field Day
For some reason I have no pictures of Maddie's Field Day. :( Not sure what happened there. But I did manage to get pictures of the big waterslide that Aaron has every year. I think he has more fun than the kids.


(Aaron and Mr. W racing down the slide.)


(Wesley never did go down the slide. Not that any of us were surprised, seeing as his self-proclaimed nickname is "Chicken Little.")

Gymnastics Awards Banquet
The Athens-Clarke County Gymnastics Academy hosts an awards ceremony every year for the team gymnasts. And since Maddie was asked to be on the team, she was invited to the banquet as well.

Level 3 and 4 gymnasts with Tina, the coach and program director

Miss "Most Improved All-Around"
We were really impressed with Maddie persistence and determination. Although Maddie is definitely a great gymnast, things don't always come easy to her. She really has to work hard. We are very proud that even when things get difficult, Maddie sticks it out and pushes through. She is definitely an example to us!

Awards Day
Maddie won the Principal's Award for her class. This award is given to the best all-around student in each class. We were pleasantly surprised when her name was called. Maddie is such a good girl!

Last-Day-of-School Talent Show
It's a Cleveland Road Elementary School (CRES) tradition to hold a talent show on the last day. It's LONG (like 4 hours) but even the little pre-Kers love to see everyone perform. Maddie's class sang "We All in This Together" from High School Musical. It was really cute! (Aaron recorded it but I have no idea how to get it from the camcorder to the computer.) Maddie and Harold, a little guy in her class, sang lead vocals and the rest of the class sang back-up. Again, I was super impressed! There is no way I would ever sing in front of a group! I wouldn't have done it as a first grader and I would never do it now! (I don't even like playing charades. lol)


After all of the kids performed, the teachers took center stage. Aaron and most of the other male teachers performed "Single Ladies." I wasn't sure how to react--pride at my husband for having such a great sense of humor or disgust at seeing him in my red plaid skirt . It was like a train wreck I just couldn't stop looking at. I'm pretty sure Wesley felt the same way, because he was laughing and crying at the same time.

Aaron is in the red jacket and plaid skirt.

School Friends
I gave Maddie the camera, and she (with Aaron's help) took a couple of pictures of her first grade friends.



No More Pencils, No More Books, No More Teacher's Dirty Looks!

Here's what the kids saw as they left the school on the last day of the 2008-2009 school year at CRES. Sweet, huh?

2 comments:

Jaime said...

I'm not surprised in the least, Maddie is a shining star! I still remember she singing as loudly as possible as a 6 month old in sacrament, lol. Sounds like a great school year, fun stuff.

The Flynn's said...

What?! You finally updated your blog! I've been checking and checking. Love all the new stuff! I really want to take a trip to NYC with Scott! It's on my list. Glad you guys had fun.